Celebrating Life, Honoring God

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of our mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. ~ Romans 12:2

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

And so it begins...

As much as I love to write, blogging has never appealed that much to me. There's something that feels so impersonal about writing online. I'm one of those rare souls who still likes to write hand-written letters to family and friends at Christmas, or any other time during the year. I keep a hand-written journal at home, in a composition book I bought at the drug store for a dollar. In other words, I'm "old school" when it comes to the format of my writing. But, now that I'm going to be published, it's time I join the 21st Century.

Very shortly (within a couple of weeks), a story that I wrote will appear in an actual published book. I try to wrap my mind around this reality, and it's difficult. Like many people, I've often dreamed of being published, of becoming a world-famous novelist or something of the kind. I'll never be a novelist, that much I know. But I am going to have a non-fiction short story published, and not just any story. It is perhaps the most intimately personal story I could tell. It seems strangely ironic that after unsuccessfully submitting a few pieces here and there over the years, it took a soul-baring piece to get me published. I suppose, however, that therein lies the message. If I'm going to write (and actually expect others to read what I write), then my writing needs to be honest and fearless. I need to focus less on comformity and more on authenticity. My voice is unique to me, and so my writing should honor that.

To those of you who will read my upcoming published story (stay tuned for details), and/or to those of you who read my posts on this blog, I hope that my writing gives you something meaningful. I hope that I am able to inspire you in your life journey, in your faith, or in your own desire to write. That's definitely worth jumping head-first into the 21st Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment